Monday, November 29, 2010

Lighting up

These streetlights are very cheap ones from Hong Kong (eBay, 10 for under € 10,-, and free shipping as well!) but I think they look quite okay on the little layout.
The wiring is nothing fancy, I just connected them to two AA batteries, which are hidden inside the module. A little switch turns them on. I chose to go for battery power because the tiny LED's will probably last almost forever on a battery charge and it keeps connecting modules in the future very simple.

I'm really enjoying this stage of construction in which the city gets more and more alive with every detail added.

And my T7B5 should be arriving shortly! Looking forward to running it. Hope to get some more track in soon as well, so I can start on the turning loops. Then the enjoyment of watching the trams go by can really begin :)

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I've never seen those lights, they look quite good - especially when I think about what I pay for my Viessman street lights! And they're LED's as well? Neat find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lights give your layout a whole new dimension. It looks like something out of a Dashiell Hammett novel. Fantastic!

    I've been meaning to ask you where you purchased your building facades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry, Yes they are tiny LED's. I got them from http://stores.ebay.com/everestmodel, but there are more eBay stores that offer similar products. They're not as detailed and well build as Viessman products but only a fraction of the price.

    Train Spotter, Thanks! I got the facades from http://www.hobby-n-express.nl/welkom/, but they appear to be sold out since I bought them. I don't know of any online store that ships them abroad, which is a pity because they're really nice models.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, the middle one is just a generally available Faller kit, but you probably already knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the information Jes! Eurorail Hobbies has a bunch of Faller structures in stock. I may decide to go with those for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the Faller buildings because they can be easily split in half for half relief purposes. (you'll get two buildings out of one package!) They're definately much quicker to build than the Artitec ones as all windows and doors are seperate parts. Saves a lot of painting time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Train Spotter,
    I went to the website and I am having difficulties in finding the lamppost with LED, did they sold out or are all the lampposts on sale are LED?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry I got the name confused. The question was intended for Jes :0)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi To2leo,
    Most lamp posts in the store are LED (well, the right term would be SMD I learned recently). I got the 50 mm ones: http://cgi.ebay.com/T91-10pcs-Model-Trains-Layout-Lamppost-lamp-HO-TT-N-5cm-/160508054171?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item255f068a9b
    Some bigger light poles have a more yellowish light colour, they may not be LED. But I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this effect. Good light, but there are still dark spots.

    ReplyDelete